JK NNI NEWS
Poet Rumi described Kashmir as the true heaven on earth. Sadly, the Kashmir of today is nothing less than a battleground of cultures, religion and geopolitics. But these almost 100-year-old photos transport us back to the time when Kashmir was a true heaven for its people and a jewel of an undivided India. The sepia-toned photos of Kashmir carry more colour than Kashmir of our times can boast of.
1. View of the Lake Srinagar, Kashmir 1865
2. The Himalayas as seen from Kashmir in 1870’s
3. Lake and multi-purpose waterwheel
4. A Canal in Kashmir of 1880’s
5. US Soldier Vaden Carney (L) and Pam Rumbold (R), taking a romantic boat ride in Kashmir – 1943
Photo by: William Vandivert